Established: April 8, 1924
Shriners Children's St. Louis opened as a 120-bed hospital on April 8, 1924, on Kingshighway Boulevard, adjacent to Washington University School of Medicine. The St. Louis Hospital was the sixth orthopedic hospital opened by the Shriners at a cost of approximately $395,000. After 39 years at that location, the hospital moved to its present location of 2001 S. Lindbergh Boulevard in the west St. Louis suburb of Frontenac in 1963. The dedication of this new facility of 100 beds was held on March 28, 1963.
The cost of the new facility was approximately $4 million. In 1983, the hospital added the Center for Metabolic Bone Disease and Molecular Research. This one-of-a-kind inpatient research center provides research, diagnoses and treatments for more than 100 rare metabolic bone diseases, drawing patients from across the country and around the world. Since its inception, scientists with the research center have discovered the genetic root of 10 inherited bone diseases.
In November 1986, a $17 million renovation/construction program was approved by the Board of Trustees. This project included a new outpatient department, new surgical services department, enlarged and renovated central sterile supply department, new radiology department plus a third room, enlarged prosthetics and orthotics department, a new cafeteria, remodeled health information services/medical records department, renovated Louderman Building for administrative and ancillary offices, and added covered walkways between the hospital and Louderman buildings. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on April 26, 1987, and construction began October 1988. A re-dedication ceremony was held on June 15, 1991, attended by approximately 1,500 guests.
- April 8, 1924: Shriners Children's St. Louis opens on the corner of what was then Kingshighway and Clayton Avenue on the campus of Washington University School of Medicine. This facility consisted of two patient floors with a capacity of 120 patients.
- April 1963: Shriners Children’s moved out of the city of St. Louis to the suburbs in a new, state-of-the-art 100-bed hospital.
- 1983: The Center for Metabolic Bone Disease and Molecular Research is added at Shriners Children's St. Louis.
- 1986-88: A $17 million renovation/construction program was approved by the Board of Trustees. A groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1987, and construction began in 1988.
- 1991: A rededication ceremony is held for the newly renovated facility with approximately 1,500 in attendance.
- 2015: Shriners Children's St, Louis' third and current facility, located on the campus of Washington University Medical School, opens.
specialty pediatric care at shriners children's st. louisView More St. Louis Care Options
Clubfoot / Club feet
We Understand the Unique Medical Needs of Children
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.