Established: January 2, 1923
Shriners Children's Hawaii became the second hospital in the Shriners Hospitals system when its doors opened in 1923 out of the rear wing of the Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital in Liliha (currently the Rehab Hospital of the Pacific). In 1930, the hospital's current 7-acre site at 1310 Punahou Street was deeded in perpetuity to Shriners Hospitals for Children in loving memory of John and Wilhemine Dowsett.
- January 2, 1923: Opened in the rear wing of the Kauikeolani Children's Hospital in Liliha.
- 1930: The Dowsett family deed their 7-acre Punahou Street property to Shriners in memory of John & Wilhemine Dowsett.
- November 27, 1930: Hospital moves from Liliha location to the Dowsett mansion.
- July 27, 1934: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who had polio, made a surprise visit to the hospital.
- 1948: Hospital accredited as a teaching unit for orthopedic residency.
- 1948: Patient school wing dedicated.
- 1953: Outpatient and physical therapy wing dedicated.
- March 2, 1965: Cornerstone of the new hospital building is laid.
- April 30, 1967: Dedication of new hospital, replacing the Dowsett mansion.
- 1992: Hospital begins use of gait lab equipment and software, becoming the first Hawaii hospital to use this technology to analyze patient gait information.
- 1992: Hospital completes two-year $15 million renovation.
- 1993: Hospital assumes oversight of statewide Myelodysplasia Program, which provides comprehensive service to children with spina bifida.
- 1994: Hospital unveils signature statue on front lawn depicting a Shriner carrying a child.
- 1996: The Shriners Hospital system officially drops the word "crippled" from its corporate name
- 1998: Hospital receives Weinberg grant to equip telemedicine program.
- 2005: Plans begin for a new hospital.
- 2007: Groundbreaking for new $73 million state-of-the-art hospital, medical office building and family quarters.
- 2009: Main hospital building completed.
- 2010: Administration building and Family Center building completed.
- 2022: Shriners Hospitals for Children — Honolulu brand evolves to Shriners Children's Hawaii.
specialty pediatric care at shriners children's hawaiiView More Hawaii Care Options
Clubfoot / Club feet
Pediatric Rehabilitation and Therapy
Pediatric Orthotic and Prosthetic Services (POPS)
We Understand the Unique Medical Needs of Children
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.