Your Donation Changes Children's Lives at Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, commonly known as Shriners Children’s. Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada is a registered Canadian charity and nonprofit organization, the Canadian branch of Shriners Children's. Shriners Children's has been leading specialty pediatric healthcare since 1922. We deliver specialty pediatric care to children around the world, providing a comprehensive range of treatments and services that help improve the quality of children's lives and allow them to reach their full potential.
There are many reasons to make a charitable gift to Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada and your passion for helping children is likely at the top of that list. Friends like you make it possible for us to provide pediatric specialty care, regardless of the family's ability to pay or insurance status, today and for years to come.
Read on to learn how you can support Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada through ways that include planned giving, hosting and attending fundraising events, and participating in our community outreach.
Shriners Hospitals for Children has pressing needs to meet every day. When you give an outright financial gift, you make our current work possible and help to shape the future of healthcare for children with medical needs. Outright gifts include:
- Online donations via our donation site
- Checks or other monetary gifts
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children. All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. Your generous gift directly helps support patient care at Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada. A U.S. organization must be recognized by the IRS as exempt under Code section 501(c)(3), and a Canadian organization must be recognized by the CRA as a registered charity.
At Shriners Hospitals for Children, planned giving ensures we can continue to provide the most amazing care anywhere for generations. When we know about your future intention, we can plan for your gift and all the good it can do.
Planned giving and other types of planned philanthropy advance our research and improve the medical care we provide, benefiting patients for generations. To ensure we meet the wishes of our donors, our giving programs include careful planning and thorough consideration, as our knowledgeable fundraising staff consults with donors, their families, legal professionals and wealth advisors. Together, we’ll develop a plan for giving that aligns with your specific tax objectives and estate planning needs.
- Bequests: Maintain full control of your financial resources during your lifetime and reduce your taxable estate by including Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada in your will or living trust.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: Provide a lifetime income to you and/or a loved one and earn a current income tax deduction with a gift of cash or property.
- Gifts of Life Insurance: Earn an immediate income tax deduction and a possible premium deduction by designating Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
- Gifts of Real Estate: Making a gift of real estate directly contributes to the Shriners Children’s mission. We can help ensure that your real estate assets have the greatest possible impact while also maximizing tax benefits. For more information, visit Real Estate Donations.
- Gifts of Stock: Shriners Children’s is able to offer our supporters an easy method to make stock donations in 10 minutes or less. You can now donate stock from your brokerage to Shriners Children’s through a secure portal, making the gifting process fast, safe and easy. If you would like to specifically designate Shriners Children's Canada when making your donation, please contact us for assistance.
- Endowments and Naming Gifts: Give your family name the opportunity to represent something special at Shriners Hospitals for Children. These giving opportunities are closely aligned with a donor’s interest such as building, room or equipment namings, program-specific namings or endowed academic chair namings.
- Cryptocurrency: Donors’ gifts change lives at Shriners Children’s, and crypto giving is a powerful way to make a difference and maximize your impact. Learn more about the tax advantages of cryptocurrency donations or, start giving today. For electronic transfer information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commemorative Gifts and Tributes
In honor donations: An in-honor donation is a unique and easy way to recognize an individual or special occasion or to send get well wishes. Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, holiday, work event, graduation, baptism or communion, an in honor donation is a meaningful gift to someone special and it supports our great cause. We will send the card of your choice with a personalized message to the honoree acknowledging your donation.
In-memory donations: Honor the memory of a family member, friend or colleague by making an In Memoriam donation to our hospital. We will send a condolence card acknowledging your gift, which can be personalized by adding a message if you wish. The condolence forms can also be used when a family requests that donations be made to our hospital in lieu of flowers.
Wedding tributes: It has become a popular trend to give a donation to a charity rather than giving a wedding favor to your guests to thank them for being part of your special day. Looking for a wedding favor that your guests will find useful is always a challenge, so many brides and grooms have chosen to use this part of their wedding budget towards a greater good and donate the money to a worthy cause instead. We provide cards for your guests, advising them that a donation has been made to our hospital in their honor, in lieu of a traditional wedding favor.
You can make a commemorative gift online and select a special card to be sent on your behalf.
To establish a memorial or tribute, please contact the donor development department at 514-282-8545.
Publicly Traded Shares
Gifting of publicly traded stocks, shares or other securities can be a wonderful way to make a significant difference for Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada, while benefiting from substantial tax advantages.
When you donate publicly traded shares directly to the hospital, you do not pay income tax on the capital gains, whereas if you were to sell the securities, 50% of the appreciated value would be subject to capital gains tax. Your donations will also entitle you to a tax receipt based on the full market value of the donated securities on the day of the transfer to the hospital. Thus, this method of giving has tremendous tax benefits!
Securities are easy to transfer. Your broker transfers the shares from your account to our brokerage account. The date of your donation will be the date the securities are deposited into our brokerage account.
Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada appreciates the support of the community in helping to increase awareness of our services and to raise funds to further the mission of the hospital.
When you attend one of our fundraising events, host a community event, start a fundraising page or donate to someone else’s fundraising efforts, you make an immediate and memorable impact on children and their families.
Third Party Fundraising Activities
Individuals, groups or businesses may organize fundraisers and special events. These groups may also fundraise online by creating a fundraising page. Learn more about how to start an online fundraising campaign.
Thank you for considering supporting Shriners Hospitals for Children Canada. Please contact the office of philanthropy at 514-282-8545 for more specific information on making a charitable gift to the hospital.
We’re always here for our patients, regardless of a family's ability to pay or insurance status.
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.