Maria G. Martinez, MD
- Physical Medicine and Rehab
- Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
Maria Martinez, M.D., grew up with a younger sister who had cerebral palsy, which gave her an interest in the field of pediatric rehabilitation. She witnessed the significant impact her sister's doctors and therapists made on her level of function, and she wanted to have a part in providing that for other families. She is a native Spanish speaker who grew up in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood. Serving the Spanish-speaking community has become a priority for her as she aspires to bridge the gaps in medical care that may occur due to language barriers.
Dr. Martinez joined the Shriners Children's Chicago team after completing a pediatric rehabilitation fellowship at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. She has experience managing the rehabilitation needs of children with cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, spina bifida, traumatic brain injury/concussion, neuromuscular disorders, oncologic diagnosis, chronic pain and other pediatric onset disabilities.
Dr. Martinez is an avid swimmer and enjoys incorporating aquatic therapy into the treatment plans for her patients.
More About Me
- American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehab, Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehab, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation - General
Universidad Autonoma de Guadaladra
Richmond University Medical Center
Staten Island, NY
United States of America
Flushing Hospital Medical Center
SUNY Upstate Medical Center
United States of America
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- 2018-Present: Member, ACRM
- 2017-Present: Member, AACPDM
- 2015-Present: Member, AAPM&R
- 2015-Present: Member, AMA
- 2021: Reviewer, Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
- Lecture: Shriners Children's Grand Rounds - Wound Care: An Interdisciplinary Approach for the Prevention & Optimal Healing of Wounds seen in Pediatric Rehabilitation (12/2020)
- Presentation: Psychology Student Didactics - Cerebral Palsy: An Overview (11/2020)
- Lecture: Neurology and PM&R Grand Rounds - Heterotopic Ossification: When to Expect it and a Novel Therapy (10/2019)
- Lecture: Neurology and PM&R Grand Rounds - Assistive Technology: A look at Augmentative/Alternative Communication and Hi-tech Advances (5/2019)
About the Patient Experience Rating System
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.