Frederic R. Bushnell, MD
Following undergraduate and MBA degrees, and a successful seventeen-year business career, Fredric Bushnell, M.D., was accepted to the University of Illinois College of Medicine at the age of 42. He served as president of his class, rotated through the University of Edinburgh, Scotland and graduated in the honors program.
He attended the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for internship, Loma Linda University for residency, and joined private practice at Huntington Memorial Hospital. In 2017, he joined the staff of Shriners Children's Southern California, where he helped develop a new model of N+1 anesthesia care with his mentor, John Scavone, M.D. (Sacramento). He concurrently created an opioid-sparing preemptive acute pediatric pain management protocol upon which he conducts outcomes research. He also serves on several national Shriners Children's medical advisory committees, including his chairmanship of the Anesthesia Executive Committee.
Dr. Bushnell has been an active clinician in medical/surgical missions overseas. As a result, he and his partner have six adopted children from Tanzania, one of whom is in his fifth year of medical school.
More About Me
- American Board of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology - General
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA
No current academic teaching appointment
- Chairman, Anesthesia Executive Committee
- Chief of Anesthesia, Shriners Children's Southern California
- Credentialed, St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Arusha, Tanzania
- Research Committee, ERAS
- Presentation: 2nd Annual Congress Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society, New Orleans, Louisiana - PreEmptive Opioid-Sparing Non-Narcotic PO Pediatric Acute Peri-Operative Pain Management (11/2018)
- Presentation: 6th World Congress Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society, Stockholm, Sweden - PreEmptive Opioid-Sparing Non-Narcotic PO Pediatric Acute Peri-Operative Pain Management (5/2018)
- Presentation: 3rd Annual Shriners Children's Western Regional Conference, Pasadena, California - The Basics of PreEmptive PO Non-Opioid Peri-Operative Pediatric Pain Management (9/2018)
- Presentation: 1st Annual Congress, Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society, Dallas, Texas - PreEmptive Opioid-Sparing Non-Narcotic PO Pediatric Acute Peri-Operative Pain Management (11/2017)
- Presentation: Pediatric Academic Society, San Francisco, California - PreEmptive Opioid-sparing Non-narcotic PO Pediatric Acute Peri-Operative Pain Management (5/2017)
About the Patient Experience Rating System
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.