Clark F. Schierle, MD
- Plastic Surgery
Clark Schierle, M.D., Ph.D., FACS, is a board-certified plastic surgeon who provides microsurgery and plastic surgery services as part of the Shriners Children's Chicago cleft lip and palate, and craniofacial plastic surgery teams. Dr. Schierle has impressive credentials. He graduated summa cum laude from UCLA at age 16 and then attended Harvard University for a six-year Ph.D. and four-year M.D. program. He followed that up with a residency in integrated plastic surgery at Northwestern University.
Dr. Schierle has a special interest in microsurgical issues that require the use of a surgical microscope to disconnect or reconnect very small arteries, veins and nerves in an effort to treat complex wounds, restore facial nerve function, and help children smile again.
"Shriners Children's Chicago has always been a magical place to me," Dr. Schierle said. He was inspired by the medical staff working as a team to help children overcome the obstacles they faced. "I remember being really impressed by this model for integrated health care delivery, providing the highest possible level of care in a way that was still cost effective," said Dr. Schierle. "This is a model you do see elsewhere, but I personally haven't seen it executed as well as I see it at Shriners Children's Chicago."
During his early medical training, Dr. Schierle worked with burn specialists at Shriners Children's Boston, where he began to learn more about the Shriners, the men's fraternal organization that founded the Shriners Children's health care system, and continues to operate the 22 locations to this day. His interest in the Shriners peaked during his chief residency at Northwestern when he rotated at the Shriners Children's Chicago. In May 2009, he joined the Medinah Shriners.
Professionally, Dr. Schierle also serves as director of aesthetic surgery at Northwestern Specialists in Plastic Surgery in Chicago. He is an active contributor and board member of numerous local and national professional medical organizations, and the current president of the Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Specialties and Areas of Care
- Plastic Surgery
More About Me
- American Board of Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery - General
Harvard Medical School
United States of America
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- 2020-Present: President, Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 2019-Present: Board Member, Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons
- 2014-Present: Vice Chair of Membership, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- 2014-Present: Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Editorial Board Member, Aesthetic Surgery Journal
- Contributing Editor, Aesthetic Surgery Journal Open Forum
- 2015, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- 2012, Patient's Choice Award
- 2018, America's Top Plastic Surgeons
- 2010, Compassionate Doctor Award