COVID-19 Visitor Information
We are ready for your child's appointment at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Chicago, in person or through telehealth Fast Track Video Visits. Please know that we understand you may feel some anxiety about bringing your child for an appointment. Our plans have been thoughtfully developed and implemented to keep everyone in the hospital safe.
- When you arrive, if you and your child are not already wearing masks, you will receive masks, which are required in our hospital.
- Everyone entering the building is screened for illness.
- You’ll notice fewer people in the building (see policies limiting companions for appointments below) and new safety precautions in place to promote clean hands, a clean environment and social distancing.
Visitation policies during the COVID-19 pandemic (as of June 12, 2020)
For outpatient clinic visits including POPS, motion analysis center, rehabilitation and infusion appointments
- New/first time visits: Two adults may accompany the patient with prior permission.
- Repeat/recurring visits: One adult may accompany the patient.
- No siblings are permitted to accompany the patient.
- Day of surgery: We understand that surgery is a stressful event for patients and families, and want to allow additional support the day of surgery. Therefore, two adults are permitted to stay with the patient until visiting hours are over that day.
- Overnight stay is limited to one adult. The adult staying overnight needs to remain with the patient throughout their stay and will not be allowed to switch out with another adult. This will limit the amount of exposure to our inpatients and the staff taking care of them.
- No sibling visitation unless the sibling is 18 or older and is the primary caregiver for the patient.
- No visitors are allowed after the day of surgery aside from the one adult that is staying with the patient.
Inpatient rehabilitation admissions
- One adult is permitted to stay with the patient. The adult staying overnight needs to remain with the patient throughout their stay and will not be allowed to switch out with another adult. This will limit the amount of exposure to our inpatients and the staff taking care of them.
- No visitors are allowed, aside from the one adult that is staying with the patient.
- No sibling visitation unless the sibling is 18 or older and is the primary caregiver for patient.
Appointments during COVID-19 pandemic
If your child or anyone in the household has been ill with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing within the past 14 days, do not come to the hospital. Call us to reschedule. Also, if you have been in close contact with anyone with the above symptoms or have traveled within the past 14 days to areas that have community transmission of the coronavirus, do not come to the hospital, but call us to see if a video visit is an option, or reschedule. Thank you for your cooperation during these difficult times.
Parents/guardians of current patients: We are updating the email addresses in our system to ensure we can provide the best communication to families during this period. We request that parents/guardians call a dedicated phone line at the Chicago Shriners Hospital to leave a message on the secure voicemail line with your child’s name, date of birth and preferred email address. The number to call is 773-385-5410. You may also receive a call from a member of our health care team requesting this information.
For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
For additional information visit the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
Let's Stay in Touch
Join our mailing list to keep up-to-date on all that's happening at Shriners Children's.