Help Prevent Childhood Fractures
When Accidents Happen, Call or Text Shriners Hospital
Fractures are common in childhood, with up to 50% of children experiencing a broken bone. Falls, recreational activity and sports are common culprits.
Consider these tips to help prevent common fractures:
- Sports: Warm up, cool down, and don’t play through pain!
- Trampolines: Only one child jumping at a time.
- Skiing and snowboarding: Wear equipment properly, be mindful of ability level, and check your terrain.
- Nutrition: Ensure your child is getting enough calcium, vitamin D and exercise to strengthen bones. Weight-bearing exercises, such as jumping rope, jogging and walking can also help maintain strong bones.
- Playground use: Allow your child to ride age-appropriate slides solo. Going down slides with your child on your lap can lead to leg fractures.
- Stairs: Do not carry children while using stairs when possible. If you must carry your child, do not hold other items in your hands. Hold the railing and use gates.
Take these prevention tips to heart to help protect your kids, but the dedicated orthopaedic specialists at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Salt Lake City know accidents happen.
If your child has a suspected broken bone, call or text a registered nurse at 801-888-4068 for same-day appointments at the Salt Lake City Shriners Hospital.
Our helpful staff will triage your child’s injury over the phone and guide you through recommended next steps. Fracture clinic services include X-rays, examinations, splinting, casting, surgery, post-fracture follow-up and rehabilitation. If needed, we will arrange same or next day service by appointment, Monday – Friday.
The Fracture Care Hotline is available weekdays 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m. Learn more about our fracture care.
Shriners Hospitals for Children is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best children’s orthopaedics hospitals in the country. All insurance plans and Medicaid are accepted and all care – from the simple to the complex – is provided regardless of families’ ability to pay.
Let's Stay in Touch
Join our mailing list to keep up-to-date on all that's happening at Shriners Children's.