Established: January 15, 1924
Shriners Children's Portland opened its doors in January of 1924 at 8200 NE Sandy Boulevard in Portland. Care was provided at that location until 1983, when the facility moved across the Willamette River to Marquam Hill, where Shriners Children's Portland is located today. Since then the hospital has been remodeled and expanded to include three operating rooms, and outpatient and inpatient units, the staff provides a full spectrum of pediatric orthopedic care to children up to age 18.
Since opening in 1924, care has been provided to service areas outside of Oregon, including Washington, Alaska, Idaho, British Colombia and Alberta. The Shriners Children’s Medford Clinic in Medford, Oregon, opened with the mission of caring for more kids in more places. Outreach clinics in Anchorage, Alaska; Pendleton, Oregon; and Bellingham, Washington, also contribute to this mission. Shriners Children's Portland is the largest pediatric orthopedic group in the Pacific Northwest, with nine orthopedic surgeons, six pediatric anesthesiologists and many advanced practice providers.
- March 12, 1923: Opened at original Sandy Boulevard location.
- 1983: Moved to current location on Marquam Hill.
- 1983: Shriners Children's research department is founded.
- 1996: Research department study finds a mutation in a small cartilage protein in the dwarfing disorder, pseudoachondroplasia.
- 1996-2017: Research discovers a role of collagen x in the growth plate of cartilage which acts as a real-time indicator for bone growth. A patent for this blood test was issued in 2018.
- 2011: An expansion and remodeling is completed.
- 2021: Shriners Children's Medford Clinic opens.
specialty pediatric care at shriners children's portlandView More Portland Care Options
Spine & Spinal Cord
Chest Wall Deformity
We Understand the Unique Medical Needs of Children
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.