Visit Shriners Children's Chicago
When visitors arrive, we're as happy to see them as the children are. Visitors can bring a smile to a patient's face and help them pass the time. But they can do more than that. Feeling supported by family and friends can also help enhance the healing process.
We ask that all guests, visitors and family members join us in creating a positive environment where hope and healing meet. Here are our visitor guidelines and policies. Please call the hospital main number if you have any questions – 773-622-5400.
Surgical Admissions and Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Two adults are permitted to stay with the patient.
- Overnight stay is limited to one adult. The adult staying overnight needs to remain with the patient throughout their stay and will not be allowed to switch out with another adult. This will limit the amount of exposure to our inpatients and the staff members taking care of them.
- No sibling visitation unless the sibling is 18 or older and is the primary caregiver for the patient.
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Your Safety Remains a Top Priority
Shriners Children's Chicago is open and caring for patients with strict safety measures. We've resumed surgical care for pediatric patients, are offering clinic appointments in person and virtually through telehealth, and are accepting referrals for new patients and consultations.
To protect the health of patients, families and employees, we have adopted new safety measures:
- Two adults may accompany the patient.
- No siblings are permitted to accompany the patient.
- Requiring face shields and goggles to be worn by staff members when providing direct patient care or when in close contact with a parent/guardian.
- Screening all patients, guests and employees for possible cold and flu-like symptoms and potential exposure to the virus.
- Requiring face masks to be worn in the facility. Individuals will be provided mask/covering if they don't have one.
- Giving a COVID-19 test to the patient 48 hours prior to surgery.
- Requiring that people who have been ill with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing or been in contact with anyone with those symptoms use a telehealth visit instead or reschedule their appointment.
- Practicing social distancing by requiring everyone to maintain a distance of at least six feet from others.
- Postponing all public events at Shriners Children's Chicago until further notice.
- Sanitizing high-touch areas multiple times a day.
General Visiting Guidelines
To maintain a family-friendly, healing environment, we ask that all visitors respect the following guidelines:
- All visitors must check in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to visit at this time.
- Visitors should obtain a visitor's pass, available at the main lobby reception desk, before coming to the unit each day. The pass must be displayed at all times.
- Visitors must respect unit activities and leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the building. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- Any food brought in must be labeled with the patient’s name and room number as well as the date and time.
- No smoking is permitted on Shriners Children's Chicago grounds.
- Patients are not allowed to consume alcohol or smoke while they are patients of ours.
Carmelo's Cafe, our cafeteria provides a welcome and comfortable place for families to enjoy a variety of menu choices, including kid-friendly food items. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, including weekends.
6:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Weekends & Holidays
7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
6:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
9:30 a.m.–10 a.m.
Hot Lunch/Salad Bar
11 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Refreshments & Snacks
1:30 p.m.–2 p.m.
3 p.m.–4:30 p.m.
Hot Dinner/Salad Bar
4:30 p.m.–6 p.m.
Weekends & Holidays
7:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
Limited Hot Lunch (No Salad Bar)
11 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Limited Hot Dinner
4:30 p.m.–5:30 p.m.
Vending, ice cream and soda machines are available 24 hours a day.
Support During Your Time With Us
Let's Stay in Touch
Join our mailing list to keep up-to-date on all that's happening at Shriners Children's.