Visit Shriners Children's Chicago
When visitors arrive, we're as happy to see them as the children are. Visitors can bring a smile to a patient's face and help them pass the time. However, they can do more than that. Feeling supported by family and friends can also help enhance the healing process.
We ask that all guests, visitors and family members join us in creating a positive environment where hope and healing meet. Here are our visitor guidelines and policies. Please call the hospital main number if you have any questions – 773-622-5400.
- The inpatient and pediatric intensive care units will allow up to three adult visitors at one time.
- Siblings are not allowed to visit at this time, unless the sibling is 18 or older and is the primary caregiver for the patient.
- Only one approved parent/guardian may stay overnight.
Day of Surgery Patients
- Three adults are permitted to stay with the patient until visiting hours are over at 8 p.m. on the day of surgery.
Clinic and Therapy Outpatient Appointments
- New patients for the first clinic appointment may have two healthy adults accompany them.
- All other clinic appointments: One healthy parent/guardian per patient.
- Due to the size of our exam rooms and rehabilitation areas, siblings are highly discouraged from coming with the patient for outpatient visits.
- Children must be supervised at all times when in the hospital.
- Telehealth appointments may be available for those who cannot follow these visitor policies.
General Visiting Guidelines
To maintain a family-friendly, healing environment, we ask that all visitors respect the following guidelines:
- All visitors must check in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby and meet guidelines above.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to visit at this time.
- Visitors should obtain a visitor's pass, available at the main lobby reception desk, before coming to the unit each day. The pass must be displayed at all times.
- Visitors must respect unit activities and leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the building. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- Any food brought in must be labeled with the patient’s name and room number as well as the date.
- No smoking is permitted on Shriners Children's Chicago grounds.
- Patients are not allowed to consume alcohol or smoke while they are patients of ours.
Carmelo's Cafe, our cafeteria. provides a welcome and comfortable place for families to enjoy a variety of menu choices, including kid-friendly food items. We serve hot breakfast and lunch, and grab-and-go dinner items, Monday – Saturday. Cash, Apple Pay, debit and major credit cards are accepted. Vending machines are also available 24 hours for snacks and beverages.
6:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Cafe closed. Food service for patients and families only.
6:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
9:30 a.m.–10 a.m.
Hot Lunch/Salad Bar
11 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Refreshments & Snacks
1:30 p.m.–2 p.m.
Salad Bar, Soup, Grab-and-Go items
3:30 p.m.–6 p.m.
Support During Your Time With Us
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.