Visit Shriners Children's Chicago
When visitors arrive, we're as happy to see them as the children are. Visitors can bring a smile to a patient's face and help them pass the time. But they can do more than that. Feeling supported by family and friends can also help enhance the healing process.
We ask that all guests, visitors and family members join us in creating a positive environment where hope and healing meet. Here are our visitor guidelines and policies. Please call the hospital main number if you have any questions – 773-622-5400.
Surgical Admissions and Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Two adults are permitted to stay with the patient until visiting hours are over on the day of surgery.
- Only one adult visitor may stay overnight. Overnight switching of who stays is permissible as long as the next visitor is vaccinated.
- No sibling visitation unless the sibling is 18 or older and is the primary caregiver for the patient.
Outpatient Clinic and Therapy Appointments
- New patient first clinic appointment may have two healthy adults attend.
- All other clinic appointments: One healthy parent/guardian per patient.
- No siblings or additional visitors permitted with the patient. (Exceptions are rare and handled on a case by case basis.)
- Telehealth appointments may be available for those who cannot follow these visitor policies.
- All visitors must be healthy and masked.
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Your Safety Remains a Top Priority
Shriners Children's Chicago is open and caring for patients with strict safety measures. We've resumed surgical care for pediatric patients, are offering clinic appointments in person and virtually through telehealth, and are accepting referrals for new patients and consultations.
To protect the health of patients, families and employees, we have adopted new safety measures:
- No siblings are permitted to accompany the patient. Do not bring other children or visitors to outpatient or rehabilitation appointments for your child.
- Requiring face shields and goggles to be worn by staff members when providing direct patient care or when in close contact with a parent/guardian during times of high level community transmission.
- Screening patients, guests and employees for possible cold and flu-like symptoms and potential exposure to the virus.
- Requiring face masks to be worn in the facility. Individuals will be provided mask/covering if they don't have one.
- Giving a COVID-19 test to the patient upon admission or the morning of surgery.
- Requiring that people who have been ill with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing, or been in contact with anyone with those symptoms use a telehealth visit instead or reschedule their appointment.
- Sanitizing high-touch areas multiple times a day.
General Visiting Guidelines
To maintain a family-friendly, healing environment, we ask that all visitors respect the following guidelines:
- All visitors must check in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby and meet guidelines above.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to visit at this time.
- Visitors should obtain a visitor's pass, available at the main lobby reception desk, before coming to the unit each day. The pass must be displayed at all times.
- Visitors must respect unit activities and leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the building. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- Any food brought in must be labeled with the patient’s name and room number as well as the date.
- No smoking is permitted on Shriners Children's Chicago grounds.
- Patients are not allowed to consume alcohol or smoke while they are patients of ours.
Carmelo's Cafe, our cafeteria. provides a welcome and comfortable place for families to enjoy a variety of menu choices, including kid-friendly food items. We serve hot breakfast and lunch, and grab-and-go dinner items, Monday – Saturday. Cash, Apple Pay, debit and major credit cards are accepted. Vending machines are also available 24 hours for snacks and beverages.
6:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Cafe closed. Food service for patients and families only.
6:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
9:30 a.m.–10 a.m.
Hot Lunch/Salad Bar
11 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Refreshments & Snacks
1:30 p.m.–2 p.m.
Salad Bar, Soup, Grab-and-Go items
3:30 p.m.–6 p.m.
Support During Your Time With Us
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.