Visit Shriners Children's Boston
When visitors arrive, we're as happy to see them as the children are. Visitors can bring a smile to a patient's face and help them pass the time. And they can do more than that. Feeling supported by family and friends can also help enhance the healing process.
We ask that all guests, visitors and family members join us in creating a positive environment where hope and healing meet.
Your Safety is a Top Priority
Shriners Children's Boston is open and caring for patients with strict safety measures to help protect against COVID-19. We are delivering surgical care and expanded clinic appointments for pediatric patients, and are accepting referrals for new patients and consultations.
To protect the health of patients, families and employees, some of our policies have been updated:
- Two parents/guardians may accompany patients for a clinic visit. Siblings may also attend the visit at this time.
- Two parents/guardians may visit inpatients. Visitors 18 and older may also visit inpatients. Only two visitors (including parents and guardians) are allowed at the bedside at one time.
- Personal protective equipment is worn by staff members when providing direct patient care or when in close contact with a parent/guardian.
- Hospital-grade face masks are required to be worn in the facility. All individuals entering the hospital are given a new mask. Cloth masks are not permitted in the hospital.
- Patients, guests and employees are screened for possible cold and flu-like symptoms and potential exposure to COVID-19. Visitors must go to the front desk for screening and to pick up a new mask.
- All surgical patients must submit proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of their surgical procedure. This testing does not need to be done at Shriners Children’s Boston.
- Parents/guardians and patients traveling to the hospital from outside the United States must submit proof of a negative COVID-19 test before arriving at the hospital.
- Staff members are making pre-visit phone calls to educate families on the rules in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. This includes relaying information about COVID-19 testing prior to surgery, automated calls for clinic and surgery appointments, and day-of screening.
General Visiting Guidelines
To maintain a family-friendly, healing environment, we ask that all visitors respect the following guidelines:
- All visitors must check in at the reception desk in the lobby and receive a visitor’s badge. Passes will be issued at the main lobby reception desk for parents or guardians to wear. Daily screening is required.
- Visitors are currently limited to parents/guardians.
- Visitors must respect patient floor activities and leave the area if requested.
- Visitors are asked to respect patient confidentiality.
- All visitors must wash their hands when they enter the patient’s room and before leaving. Nursing staff can share any additional infection control measures that may be necessary.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the facility. Patients may receive mylar balloons. Live plants or cut flowers are not permitted in patient areas since they pose a risk for spreading germs. Nonwashable toys and stuffed animals are limited to one per patient.
- Any food brought in must first be approved by the nursing staff before it can be given to a patient in case they have dietary restrictions.
- No smoking is permitted on Shriners Children's Boston grounds.
We realize your presence during your child’s stay at our facility is very reassuring, so we encourage one parent/guardian to stay at the bedside. We provide a single cot, bed linens and shower facilities for the parent staying. For other family members who would like to stay close to our facility during your child’s stay, there are several hotels nearby.
To adhere to COVID-19 safety precautions, the Blossom Café on our ninth floor is only open to patients, families and staff at this time.
Our café provides a welcome and comfortable place for families to enjoy a meal or a snack. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, including weekends.
Food selections include snacks, beverages, sandwiches, salads and desserts at reasonable prices.
Please make us aware of any food allergies or sensitivities that you, a family member or guest have so we can safely serve you.
Open every day.
7 a.m.–10 a.m.
11:30 a.m.–2 p.m.
The grill is open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Grill specials are available Monday-Friday.
5 p.m.–6 p.m.
Weekends & Holidays
7 a.m.–10 a.m. (Beverages and muffins only)
12 p.m.–1 p.m.
The cafeteria at Massachusetts General Hospital has extended hours and is within walking distance of Shriners Children's Boston. The two hospitals are also connected by a tunnel that can be accessed via the elevators at the main entrance.
Vending machines for snacks and drinks are available 24 hours a day in the basement of the hospital at the entrance to the tunnel.
Support During Your Time With Us
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.