Safety While Grilling
Grilling is common during the summer months, when children are out of school, and mom and dad prefer to spend more time outdoors rather than cooking dinner in the kitchen. We all enjoy a grill-cooked meal, but need to be aware of the risks associated with this activity.
According to the American Burn Association, more than 400,000 burn injuries occur each year in the United States.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), each year from 2014 to 2018, fire departments in the United States responded to an estimated average of 10,600 fires. Half of this number was due to accidents that occurred during grilling.
Advice for Safe Grilling
- Safe location: Be sure to grill in an open, well-ventilated area. Avoid closed areas or grilling near flammable materials.
- Constant supervision: Never leave the grill unattended while in use. Stay close at all times to be able to control any emergency that may arise.
- Fire extinguisher: Have a fire extinguisher handy. Make sure you know how to use it correctly before you light/start the grill.
- Keep children and pets away from the area: Establish a safety zone around the cooking area and make sure everyone is aware of it (minimum 3 feet, recommend 5 feet (1.52 meters).
- Proper tools: Use tools specifically designed for grilling, such as long tongs or heat-resistant gloves, to avoid burns.
After Grilling is Complete
- Completely extinguish charcoal: Make sure you completely extinguish the charcoal fire before leaving the area. Spray water on the coals and stir them to make sure they are completely cooled.
- Let the grill cool: Do not touch or clean the grill until it has cooled completely. Hot grills can cause severe burns.
- Safe storage: If you are going to store your grill or grilling tools, make sure they are cool and clean before doing so. Store them in a safe place and out of the reach of children.
- Dispose of ashes safely: Once the ashes are completely cool, you can dispose of them in a fire-resistant metal container. Avoid throwing them in common garbage containers, as they may cause a fire.
Remember that safety is essential at all times when handling fire and barbecue equipment. It is always better to prevent and be prepared for any emergency.
Keep In Touch
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on everything that's happening at Shriners Children's.