Please follow these instructions to care for your pressure garment. Please bring all pressure garments with you each time you return for a clinic appointment. Please call 916-453-2240 if you have any problems or questions.
Washing Your Garment
- Wash your pressure garment after each wearing. Rinse thoroughly to avoid residue that could increase itching or cause a rash.
- Use a mild detergent free of blue dyes and fragrances (for example: Tide-Free).
- Wash the garments in a machine to help remove stains and prevent a build-up of skin creams.
- Soak the garments in cold water and laundry detergent or pre-wash for an hour before washing to help remove stubborn stains.
- Attach the hook fastener on the garments together before washing. This will lengthen the life of the hook fastener and avoid fraying of the seams.
- Breakdown of the elastic fibers in the garment will occur with the use of hot water, harsh detergents, bleach, fabric softener or hot machine drying.
- Lay the garments flat to dry. Do not place in direct sunlight.
Wearing Your Garment
- Use a water-based lotion that is free of fragrance and coloring.
- Two sets of garments are issued so that one can be laundered while the other is being worn.
- Garments should be worn 23 hours a day.
- You may perform all regular activities in pressure garments.
- It is fine to swim in pressure garments. Rinse the garment out after swimming in a pool to remove any residual chlorine. Remove wet garments after swimming to prevent chafing and reapply lotion to skin.
- If you experience any problems with the garments, remove them and contact your primary therapist immediately. Problems that require immediate attention may include swelling, numbness in fingers or toes or skin breakdown. Use temporary pressure methods such as elastic wraps until you develop a plan with your therapist.
- If the garment requires repairs or alterations, contact your therapist immediately. Please do not try to alter or repair a garment yourself. Garments require special equipment to mend them correctly.