Shriners Hospitals for Children — Northern California is a regional pediatric medical center providing surgical care and rehabilitation to children with congenital conditions and complex medical needs regardless of the ability of the patient or family to pay. Located just minutes from downtown Sacramento, the Northern California Shriners Hospital treats children with orthopaedic conditions, spinal cord injuries, burns, cleft lip, scars from any cause, specialized plastic surgery needs, chest wall malformations, ano-rectal disorders, gastro-intestinal disorders and other complex surgical needs. Our hospital is a destination of choice for families throughout Northern California, the Western United States, Northwestern Mexico and Canada. The course of care is determined individually for each patient. Each patient’s path to success is fueled by private donations and driven by excellence in treatment, teaching and research.
Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California is ranked s ranked 38th in pediatric orthopaedics and 32nd in pediatric urology together with UC Davis Children’s Hospital. This is the fifth consecutive year the hospitals have shared national recognition in the best hospital survey. This is the fifth consecutive year the hospitals have shared national recognition. The Best Children’s Hospitals rankings highlight U.S. News’s top 50 U.S. pediatric facilities in 10 specialties. Rankings are based on a combination of clinical data and reputation with pediatric specialists.
*Ranked together with UC Davis Children’s Hospital
Donations support hospital in its mission to transform the lives of children through treatment, teaching and research.
- Ranked in the 2016-2017 U.S. News & World Report as one of the top 50 pediatric orthopaedic programs in America in conjunction with the UC Davis Children’s Hospital.
- Distinguished by the American Burn Association (ABA) and the American College of Surgeons (ACS) as a verified pediatric burn center.
- Distinguished as the region’s most active and most noted pediatric burn center.
- Fully accredited by the Joint Commission
Signature Clinical Programs
- Specialized Plastic Surgery
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Cleft Lip Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Colorectal Program
Based on just two criteria:
- Age (under18)
- Diagnosis (within scope of services)
The hospital serves children throughout California, the Western United States, Canada & Mexico.
Referral & Admission
Admission to the program is just a phone call away.
- Referral Center: 916-453-2191
Parents, physicians and other health care providers wishing to refer a child in need should call the Patient Referral Center at 916-453-2191.
- Emergency Referral: 916-453-2111
Children with severe burns and other emergent needs are admitted through a physician-to-physician referral. The referring physician should contact the physician-on-call at 916- 453-2111.
Continues to increase with more than:
- More than 75,000 children treated
- 30,000 patient visits annually
- Over 7,000 new referrals annually
The Medical Complex
- 80 pediatric beds, including 20 critical care beds and 10 step-down beds
- Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Ambulatory Sub-Specialty Clinics
- Pediatric Orthotic & Prosthetic Services (LLC)
- Center for Movement Analysis
The Institute of Pediatric Regenerative Medicine (IPRM) at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California is home to a collaborative research program devoted to bringing discoveries from the bench to the bedside. Integrated basic science and clinical research studies are focused on tissue regeneration of skin, the nervous system and musculoskeletal system.