Shinjiro Hirose, MD
- Pediatric Surgery
Shinjiro Hirose, M.D., is director of pediatric surgery at Shriners Children's Northern California and chief of the Division of Pediatric and Fetal Surgery in the department of surgery at the University of California, Davis Children's Hospital. Dr. Hirose specializes in minimally invasive surgery for gastrointestinal, biliary, liver and thoracic disorders in fetuses and children and is a nationally recognized children's cancer surgeon. He also is an expert in the development and use of surgical robotics in children.
Dr. Hirose earned his bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and conducted research in telerobotics before studying medicine.
Dr. Hirose was the lead pediatric surgeon at the University of California, San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital and its Fetal Treatment Center before joining the medical team at Shriners Children's Northern California, where he leads a program that serves children with complex gastrointestinal disorders, complex ano-rectal disorders and complex chest wall disorders. His research interests focus on clinical innovation and the use of robotics in fetal intervention.
Dr. Hirose has lectured nationally and internationally on advances in fetal and pediatric surgery. His research is published in many peer-reviewed publications, including the Journal of Perinatology, Pediatric Endosurgery and American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
His professional affiliations include the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Pediatric Surgical Association, International Fetal Medicine Surgery Society, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group, American College of Surgeons, Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy, and American Pediatric Surgical Association.
More About Me
- American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Surgery
- American Board of Surgery, Surgery, Surgery - General
New York Medical College
UC Davis Medical Center
UC Davis Medical Center
UC San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
Columbia University Children's Hospital
New York, NY
United States of America
University of California Davis School of Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, American College of Surgeons
- Member, American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Member, International Fetal Medicine and Surgical Society
- Member, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group
- Member, North American Fetal Treatment Network
- 2018, Dean's Award of Excellence, UC Davis Department of Surgery
- 2009, Research Evaluation and Allocation Novel Award, Clinical/Translational Methods, UCSF
- 2005, Chief Resident Teaching Award, UCSF Department of Surgery
- 2000, Resident Teaching Award, UC Davis Department of Surgery
- 1998, Outstanding Intern Award, UC Davis Department of Surgery
About the Patient Experience Rating System
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.