Updates at Shriners Healthcare for Children — Florida During the Pandemic
It is our mission to care for children, and we appreciate the trust you place in us, now more than ever. COVID-19 has presented some challenges and changed how we do some things – but we are still here, providing the most amazing care anywhere.
The health and safety of our patients and employees remain our top priority, so we have adopted several new safety measures for all visitors.
Due to the new safety measures, everyone who enters the building will need to:
- Wear a mask while in the facility at all times (all visitors over the age of 2).
- If you do not have a mask, it will be provided. You will need to cover your mouth and nose for proper face mask wearing.
- Upon entering the facility, be prepared for a screening and to get your temperature taken.
- If anyone in the immediate household is sick or if they think they may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, they should reschedule their appointment.
- Maintain 6 feet of social distancing from others throughout the facility.
- Practice good hand hygiene: Wash your hands frequently, or use alcohol hand sanitizer available throughout the building.
It is crucial at this time to limit the number of people in and out of our building.
- Visitors remain as one parent/guardian/caregiver per patient.
- At this time, siblings are not permitted. We urge parents to make child care arrangements for siblings in advance of your visit.
- If two parents/guardians/caregivers arrive, one must return to their vehicle.
- If you have two children from the same family with different appointments, each child is allowed one parent/guardian/caregiver.
We are continuously reviewing processes and procedures.
- Implementation of a “universal masking” policy for all staff, patients and facility visitors.
- Mandatory screening (temperature check) upon arrival, only allowing those without fever, cough or shortness of breath entrance to the facility.
- Installation of plexiglass at patient check-in/check-out windows.
- We recognize that some families will feel more comfortable continuing to quarantine at home or limit travel. We’re pleased to offer telehealth Fast Track Video Visits (FTVV) for patients who qualify for an in-home health screening. Ask your doctor if telehealth appointments might be the right choice for your family.
- Spacing out appointments to help maintain social distance for any in-person visits to our facility.
- Minimizing the use of waiting areas.
- Some activity areas of the facility have been changed to decrease the opportunity for exposure. Please feel free to bring your own items to keep your child occupied while waiting. Examples: tablet, coloring materials, small toys; please use your discretion.
As a reminder, Shriners Hospitals for Children does not treat COVID-19. If your child is experiencing possible coronavirus symptoms, please contact your pediatrician for instructions.
We are committed to our mission to provide care regardless of families’ ability to pay. Feel free to ask for information anytime during your visit or throughout the billing process.
If you have an upcoming appointment at Shriners Healthcare in Florida and would like to discuss any symptoms or questions, please call 813-972-2250 and remain on the line for the operator.
Let's Stay in Touch
Join our mailing list to keep up-to-date on all that's happening at Shriners Children's.